The term Shadow Work can be scary for some and for others it can be exciting. Sometimes we are scared when we don’t understand something very well. Once we have an understanding of what shadow work is then maybe you will feel better about what it is and what it can do for you.
First let’s define shadow work. Shadow work is the dark side that acts as a storehouse for all the unacceptable aspects of ourselves (all the things that we pretend not to be and all the aspects that embarrass us). These are the parts of us we don’t want to show the world and ourselves. When we come face-to-face with our dark side our first instinct is to turn away and our second is to make a deal with it to leave us alone.
Many of the clients that come to me start with shadow work because they are ready to confront it all and really take off the many masks so they can live in harmony with themselves. It can get very draining and exhausting living a life that is not 100% authentic or the true YOU!
A great way to work on the shadow is as follows:
- Begin by defining the shadow aspects of you in detail and explore its nature and effects. Sometimes each shadow aspects is worked on per session because it can be a lot to process.
- Examine the essential shadow phenomenon, projection, where we deny crucial parts of the self by giving them away.
- After considering a new paradigm for understanding our inner and outer life then we can begin taking action and apply what we have learned to unconceal the hidden faces of our dark side. This is where awareness steps in and the true work begins.
- Embark on the process of owning and taking responsibility for our shadow qualities, learning specific tools for embracing the shadow and discovering its gifts, and taking back the power over parts of ourselves that we gave to others.
- Last, we can explore the ways in which we can love and nourish ourselves and the practical tools to manifest our dreams and to create a life worth living.
Yes, shadow work takes time and effort. It’s not always an easy journey but definitely worth the end result which is freedom and wholeness of who you really are as a centered and fulfilled human being. The universe/God always guides us back to embracing the totality of ourselves. We attract whomever and whatever we need to mirror back the aspects of ourselves that we’ve forgotten. Often times my clients need time to process after their first hypnotherapy session because it can be a lot of information all at once. After the 3rd or 4th session things start to get clearer and each session after that just becomes more powerful! The individual can now easily and more quickly go into hypnosis and immediately tap into the subconscious mind and work through whatever comes up. Now the process to start understanding and clearing the shadow parts of the themselves becomes easier and they have more compassion towards themselves and others. Then at the end I sense how empowered they truly feel about their life purpose and as a person!
At the end of it all, doing the work of the deep dark parts of you truly helps you get to the core of who you really are and that is your truth! If you haven’t started doing the inner work then better late then never.
If hypnotherapy resonates with you feel free to call and set up a 30 min. Free consultation with me to see if hypnotherapy is a good modality for what you wish to work on. If it is great for you then let’s get started on your new journey of growth and evolvement of a better and happier you!
If you have any questions regarding this post feel free to comment below. 🙂
Reference: “The Dark Side of the Light Chasers,” By: Debbie Ford, 2010